Bounce Back with Breakfast!
By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Many of us are getting back to work after an unexpected and long quarantine. Bouncing back with breakfast is a great way to get some much-needed energy and avoid a case of sleepy-eyes.
- Thomas’ English muffins were always a part of my breakfast growing up; years later they’re still a fantastic option! Try whole grain and 100% whole wheat varieties for added fiber.
- Studies show that people who eat breakfast are more successful at losing weight. Eating breakfast can raise metabolism by as much as 10 percent.
- Adults who skip breakfast are less mentally and physically efficient for longer periods of time during the day.
Did you know?!
Starting your day with breakfast means a more alert brain and a more active body! After a 10 to 12 hour fast our bodies need the fuel to maintain vital functions and our brains need the fuel to think clearly. Here are five more reasons to start your day with breakfast!
- Athletes who skip breakfast train less effectively.
- It is extremely difficult to get all of your necessary daily nutrients without breakfast.
- Eating breakfast has been shown to increase concentration
- Eating a bigger meal in the morning and a smaller meal at night optimizes your daily energy levels.
- Breakfast restores sugar levels after up to 12 hours of not eating.
Harissa Avocado Toast
- 1 Thomas’® Original, Whole Grain OR 100% Whole Wheat English Muffin
- 2 Eggs
- ½ Avocado, gently mashed
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Harissa
- 1 Green Onion, Chopped
- Fill a medium sized pot with water and add white vinegar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Crack the eggs into a small bowl or ramekin so that it is easier to pour gently into the pot. Use a spoon to create a whirlpool in the pot, and gently pour in the egg. Continue to gently stir and let the eggs cook for about 3 minutes (for a runny yolk). Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and drain on a paper towel.
- Fork split and toast the English Muffin.
- Spread each half with one tablespoon of Harrissa, follow by half of the mashed avocado and a poached egg
- Top each half with chopped green onion
Recipe Source: Thomas’ English Muffins Thomasbreads.com