Resolve to Get Back in Shape
By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
We’ve all been guilty of the on-again, off-again commitment to a healthy diet and exercise routine. If you have resolved to get back in shape for the New Year, create a checklist to help keep you on the right track with health promoting habits.
Did you know?
Just a 30-minute program five times a week (or a 60-minute workout at least three times a week) is enough to improve your overall health and well-being. A high level of fitness leads to increased stamina which means you’ll have more energy to do the things you love like dancing, playing with your kids, or giving it your all to your career. So stick with it, you can do it!
Remember that staying physically active along with a healthful diet is a major factor in disease prevention! Exercise also works to build strength, enhance endurance and improve balance.
- Pencil in 20-30 minutes of physical activity daily like you would an appointment to help create a new habit.
- Set small, measurable goals and be consistent.
- Exercise with a friend for accountability.
- Focus on wholesome foods like fruits, vegetables, whole grains and rich sources of protein like eggs, tofu, and fish like Salmon.
- Practice portion control by using this easy rule of thumb: ½ plate vegetables, ¼ lean protein, ¼ fiber rich carbohydrate.
For your own safety, always be sure to stretch and include a light warm-up and cool-down period before and after your exercise. Eat a high-protein and nutritious snack or meal afterwards for muscle growth and tissue repair!
Salmon Tacos with Mango Salsa
Freshen up your winter plate with mango salsa over delicious high protein salmon; place it in a tortilla and make it a taco Tuesday! Easy to prepare, you’ll have dinner ready in less than 30 minutes!
Makes: 4 Servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 20 minutes
- 1 pound fresh Salmon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 8 corn or flour (6-inch) tortillas
- 1 Mango, pitted, peeled & diced
- ¼ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- ½ jalapeno, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Cilantro
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, chili powder, paprika and cumin. Place salmon on baking sheet and season with combined spices. Drizzle with olive oil and roast in preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. See note.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salsa. In a medium sized bowl, combine mango, bell pepper, jalapeno, onion, lime juice, cilantro and salt.
- Assemble the tacos! Remove salmon from oven, cut into bite size pieces or shred salmon with a fork. Warm tortillas to soften, place salmon in each tortilla and top with mango salsa. Enjoy!
Note: Cook fish to internal temperature of 135 to 145 degrees F.
Nutrition Information for 2 tacos: 367 Calories; 36g carbohydrate; 12g fat; 26g protein; 203mg sodium; 3.5g fiber
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Top 5 Articles: