Memorial Day Grilling & Chillin’
By Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Memorial Day signals the start of summer and it’s the perfect time to embrace fresh, seasonal ingredients. If you’re hosting a get together, choosing fresh and natural ingredients will make your dishes stand out.
- Grilling is an obvious choice! Lean protein, such as lean beef and turkey, provide essential nutrients like protein to fuel activity and are delicious on the grill.
- Vegetarian? No problem, grill firm or extra firm tofu on a well-greased grill grate.
- Don’t forget about your veggies, zucchini, eggplant, asparagus and peppers are perfect for grilling.
- For snacks and dessert cut up fresh watermelon and add in a variety of berries to serve along side ice cream – a total crowd pleaser!
Enjoy these fun and healthy turkey meatball kebabs at your Memorial Day get together!
Red, White & Blue Turkey Meatball Kebabs
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
Makes: 8 Skewers
- 1 pound Shady Brook 93% Lean ground Turkey
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt & pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 Vidalia onion, cut into 2 inch pieces
- ½ eggplant cut into 1 inch cubes (skin on)
- Filippo Berio Olive oil for drizzling
- 8 Wooden or metal skewers*
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Prepare meatballs: In a large bowl combine ground turkey, breadcrumbs, egg, Italian seasoning, cumin, salt & pepper, garlic. Mix well.
- Form mixture into 1 inch meatballs.
- Thread meatballs, pepper, onion and eggplant onto each wooden skewer, alternating ingredients.
- Drizzle each skewers with olive oil. Grill on medium high heat, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer skewers to a plate and serve with lemon wedges or salsa.
*If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for about 15 minutes before threading with ingredients.
Nutrition Information per skewer:
131 calories; 6.5g carbohydrate; 6.5g fat; 13g carbohydrate; 119mg sodium; 2g fiber