By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Happy New Year! Energy boosting foods are rich in protein and complex carbohydrate; I refer to them as “power foods”! The combination of these foods is digested slower so you can have fuel ready to go when you are!
- Nuts and nut butters are satisfying and rich in healthy fats, fiber and protein. Add Justin’s Almond butter to waffles, toast, apples or bananas for an energizing meal or snack.
- Low Fat yogurt – A tasty combination of protein and carbs, perfect for a quick snack on the run!
- Whole grains – The grain kernel contains the fiber, vitamins, and minerals that our bodies need to stay healthy.
Energy Boosting Activity
Staying consistently active is a great way to keep “energized.” Just a 30-minute program five times a week (or a 60-minute workout at least three times a week) is enough to improve your overall health and well-being.
Remember that staying physically active is a major factor in disease prevention! Exercise also works to build strength, enhance endurance and improve balance.
- Set small, measurable goals.
- Schedule an exercise time that works for you.
- Be consistent.
- Exercise with a friend.
- Tune into your favorite music while exercising to stay motivated!
For your own safety, always be sure to stretch and include a light warm-up and cool-down period before and after your exercise. Eat a high-protein and nutritious snack afterwards for muscle growth and tissue repair!
Almond Butter Berry-Banana Waffles
Prep: 5 minutes
Makes: 2 serving
- 2 Whole Grain Waffles
- 2 Tablespoons Justin’s All-Natural Almond Butter
- ¼ banana, sliced
- 3 strawberries, sliced
- Ground cinnamon (optional)
- Toast waffles according to packing directions.
- Spread almond butter evenly over each waffles. Top with sliced bananas and strawberries. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon if desired.
Recipe & Image: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA