June is Dairy Month
By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Celebrate milk, cheese and yogurt! Dairy products are good sources of vitamin D and calcium – nutrients vital to good health. How much do you need? 3-A-Day, that’s 3 servings of milk, cheese or yogurt!
- Vitamin D not only helps maintain blood calcium and phosphorus levels, it aids in the absorption of calcium to form and maintain strong bones.
- Recent studies show that vitamin D may also protect from osteoporosis, hypertension, cancer and several autoimmune diseases!
- Milk, like Fairlife milk contains an excellent source of protein – needed to build strong muscle and can support a healthy weight.
Tropical Green Smoothie
Prep: 5 minutes
Makes: 1 Serving
- 3/4 cup, fairlife® Fat Free or 1% ultra-filtered milk
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach or baby kale
- 1 ripe banana
- 2/3 cup fresh or frozen diced pineapple
- zest of 1 whole lime and squeeze of 1 lime wedge
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup ice (optional, to enjoy cold immediately)
- combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. to make in advance and refrigerate, omit the ice.
- serve and enjoy!
Nutrition Information: 252 Calories; 52g Carbohydrate; 0g Fat; 15g protein; 154mg sodium; 5g Fiber
Recipe adapted from Fairlife.com