Spring Forward into New Routines!
By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Daylight Savings Time is a great time to spring forward into new routines! As we turn our clocks forward one hour we may be dreading the “lost hour” of sleep; but instead use it as an opportunity to begin new healthy routines.
- Start your day with exercise or at lunchtime, getting it in earlier in the day can support positive energy throughout the day.
- Eat Breakfast. Adults who eat breakfast are more mentally and physically efficient for longer periods of time during the day. Grab a Chobani yogurt if you’re short on time.
- Set a caffeine curfew. Mine is at 1:00pm; it could be another time for you, since we all have different sensitivities to caffeine. Either way, the goal is to promote an adequate amount of sleep each night and avoid anything that might interfere.
- Give yourself time to unwind. With the time change, your body is more likely to feel sluggish much earlier. Your internal clock wants to wake up an hour later each day, so it needs to rest well in the evening. Prepare yourself a hot cup of chamomile and cozy up with a book at your usual bedtime.
Choosing a breakfast rich in protein and complex carbs is a recipe for sustained energy throughout the day!
Almond Joy Breakfast Oats
Total time: 5 minutes
Makes: 1 Serving
- 1/3 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon slivered almonds
- 6 oz. fat free Chobani coconut flavored Greek yogurt
- Cook oatmeal with water according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, toast almonds in a skillet
- Stir yogurt into cooked oats, top with chocolate chips followed by toasted almonds.
Nutrition Information: 350 Calories; 23g carbohydrate; 12g fat; 17g Protein; 3g dietary fiber, 175mg sodium
Recipe by: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN