Staying Hydrated with Better-For-You Drinks
By: Jacqueline Gomes, RDN, MBA
Did you know that every single cell in our bodies requires water to function properly?
But how much do we need? The National Academies of Sciences determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is about 15.5 cups of fluids for men and about 11.5 cups of fluids a day for women. That may sound like a lot of water, but
- Needs will vary by individual, consider your activity level and if you’ve been outdoors in the heat. Add in an extra cup of water for one hour of exercise.
- Low-fat milk, 100% juice and herbal teas count towards your daily water goal.
How do you know if you’re not getting enough water?
Signs of dehydration include feeling thirsty, headache, dizziness, dry sticky mouth and feeling tired, weak very often.
Remind yourself to take water breaks throughout the day with an alarm set on your phone, slotted into your calendar, or through a water tracking app.
If you’re heading out the door remember to pack a water bottle for the road.
Infused Strawberry, Basil and Lemon Water
Prep: 5 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries stemmed and sliced
- 5 large fresh basil leaves torn
- 1 lemon thinly sliced
- 5 cups Nestle Pure Life water
- 1 cup ice cubes (optional)
- Fill a large pitcher with water, add in strawberries, lemon and herbs. Add ice if desired.
- Let fruit infuse water for about 2 to 4 hours. Enjoy! May also be refrigerated over night.